No ticket office or facilities. Platform accessible from roadside drop off area, no parking at the station itself. Roadside parking usually available in the nearby village. Please pay on the train.
The original station opened in 1847.The station building still exists a private residence. There is a Stockton & Darlington Railway ceramic plaque visible on the wall. In the 1930's this was the home of the LNER District Engineer, whose offices were in Bishop Auckland. Because of its location on a curve and incline, it was found difficult to start passenger trains from here and therefore the NER built a new station to the east of the level crossing. This station- a single storey version of the NER's 1880's design was built adjacent to the road connecting the village to Wear Valley Junction
The station closed to passengers along with all of the other stations on the branch on 27th June 1953. There is no trace of the buildings or platform - the site being completely cleared in April 1973.
In 2015 the Weardale Railway Trust and the local Parish Council together with the support of Weardale Railways CIC initiated a project to reopen a platform at Witton le Wear. In 2016 a regular service was initiated between Stanhope and Witton le Wear.