The rebuilt platform and small car park are always open (but no overnight parking). Disabled car parking spaces are available. There is no station office or other facilities.
Frosterley village has in its centre a Co-op general dealership including Post Office and newsagent. There is also a fish and chip shop which is open most afternoons. More car parking is available in the village centre. The Frosterley Inn can be found at the east end of the Front Street.
Postcode for sat navs: DL13 2SL
A Brief History of Frosterley Station
Frosterley is a small, linear village principally composed of stone terraces, which are former quarrymen's cottages. It lies at the point where The Great Limestone outcrops at river level, so became the focus for the exploitation of these huge reserves in the nineteenth century. Frosterley was the original terminus of the railway, which opened from Witton Junction on 8th August 1847 along with a branch into the nearby Bishopley quarry complex. A Stockton & Darlington ceramic plaque 'J11' still exists today above the entrance to the old station building.
Although virtually all quarries have now 'gone back to nature' it is easy to find most of the old trackbeds, cuttings and embankments associated with the maze of sidings that once existed here.
One of the quarries was a source of a particularly hard limestone, rich in fossils - Frosterley Marble. It was prized for its decorative value and can be found locally in Durham Cathedral, Auckland Palace and the local church font. A large piece, quarried and donated by Sherburn Stone Ltd, was sculpted and mounted at the refurbished station for its 2004 re-opening.