No 40 : UPDATE : JANUARY 2021
Progress on the restoration work at the McEwen’s works in Keighley has had to put on pause due to the Coronovirus pandemic. From May 2020 McEwen’s have had to divert all their resources as they are also major contractors of boiler services to the NHS. This work has had to take priority in the present circumstances.
Remaining Works - as at May 2020
• Drill and Tap Backhead for Longitudinal Stays
• Caulk rivets and seams internally
• Rivet smokebox tubeplate into situe.
• Re-fit copper pipes, these were removed to undertake pad repair.
• Fit longitudinal stays.
• Fit firebox for final time (following inspection by Graham Morris.)
• Drill foundation ring and rivet.
• Fit palm stays
• Weld firebox stays
• Weld in newly manufactured Firehole ring
• Cut and fit new mudhole door openings.
• Mark and drill for cladding brackets
• Fit J-Pipe and Steam Pipe
• Re-Tube boiler
• Fit washout plugs
• Fit new studs
• Caulk remaining rivets
• Fit smokebox and chimney
• Hydro & Steam Test Boiler.